Dog's Poop Has Red Jelly-Like Substance In It...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: Dog's Poop Has Red Jelly-Like Substance In It...

Postby willyg44 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:29 am

I wasn't actually at the vet, but my g/f said he tested for a few other things other than parvo which she couldn't remember, and the doc said he's very healthy. We switched to Wellness Core dry food mixed with a couple spoonfulls of the Wellness salmon canned food and the poop is perfect now :) So, it might've been the cheap food that the previous owner gave us. Leo GOBBLES UP the Wellness food he loves it lol

And GatorPit I meant more if you lived in Gainesville, since we just moved there and we're like lost lol. Much different from Jersey life!
willyg44
Newborn Bully

Postby Cherry » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:28 pm

willyg44 wrote:I wasn't actually at the vet, but my g/f said he tested for a few other things other than parvo which she couldn't remember, and the doc said he's very healthy. We switched to Wellness Core dry food mixed with a couple spoonfulls of the Wellness salmon canned food and the poop is perfect now :) So, it might've been the cheap food that the previous owner gave us. Leo GOBBLES UP the Wellness food he loves it lol

And GatorPit I meant more if you lived in Gainesville, since we just moved there and we're like lost lol. Much different from Jersey life!

Yay! That is exactly what Cherry is on. :)
Cherry
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:11 pm

Gatorpit wrote:
Misskiwi67 wrote:But wouldn't you still reccomend those parasite tests at least, as they are so common in any event?

Fecal floats seldom reveal parasites when the feces are liquid, its too diluted out. Dogs who eat rabbit feces will test positive for coccidia even if they aren't actually infected, so fecal floats aren't my favorite test. You can do lots of other things with feces though, including snap tests for giardia, fecal smears, special stains for bacteria, wet smears... you should always take a fecal sample even if all your vet does is look at it or smell it.

Parvo is only necessary in an ill or vomiting dog, or a dog who has not been vaccinated. Bloody feces and bloody mucous are two different things.

I could easily spend 200 bucks on every dog with diarrhea doing SIMPLE testing for every possible cause of diarrhea (and causes of diarrhea could fill a whole page) and never find anything. Every dog is different, and if I spent 200 bucks every time, people would stop coming when things really were bad. That is why you ask your veterinarian to take into account both the physical exam AND the history to determine the most LIKELY cause of diarrhea. That is why even as a vet I tell 9 people out of 10 to see a veterinarian... judgement calls cannot be made without all the necessary information...

and its also why they call it PRACTICE...
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Gatorpit » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:54 pm

willyg44 wrote:I wasn't actually at the vet, but my g/f said he tested for a few other things other than parvo which she couldn't remember, and the doc said he's very healthy. We switched to Wellness Core dry food mixed with a couple spoonfulls of the Wellness salmon canned food and the poop is perfect now :) So, it might've been the cheap food that the previous owner gave us. Leo GOBBLES UP the Wellness food he loves it lol

Oh yeah. I got lost in Jersey on my way to New York once...worst. Day. EVER.

G'villes nice and quiet.
Gatorpit
Addicted to PBF

Postby DannyNyce » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:44 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:
Gatorpit wrote:
Misskiwi67 wrote:You can do lots of other things with feces though

roflmao
...sorry i couln't help it

oh, and willy: welcome to boring florida. we just moved from nyc too 8)
DannyNyce
Super Bully

Previous

Return to Health Issues