my pitbull is going bald....help please

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

my pitbull is going bald....help please

Postby MIDNIGHT » Sun May 10, 2009 9:31 pm

OK ,at first it was just on his side but now its spreading all over his body ......the hair is falling out in spots and the spots were the hair is falling out is swollen and flaky.....and on his face there look to be pimples????and hes itching them til the bleed .....so now the are big scabs on his head and the bottom of his mouth,Ive been to my local vet and they wont see him because of his size at least that's what they told me ....so i went to a vet about 25 miles away and they put me on a 3 week waiting list ????here are some pics please help me is there anything i can get from the drug store that will help him ???

MIDNIGHT
Newborn Bully

Postby starrlamia » Sun May 10, 2009 9:55 pm

:( poor pup!

I would think mange, but Im sure the experts will chime in their opinions.
No other vets in the area that could see him?
starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby tiva » Sun May 10, 2009 10:15 pm

He can't wait 3 weeks. Keep calling vets, and good luck.
tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby angus » Sun May 10, 2009 11:51 pm

Looks like mange. With the intense itching and scabs it could very well be sarcoptic mange which is contagious to humans. You are going to need a skin scraping at the vet to confirm if its mange and whether its demodex or sarcoptic.
angus
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby MIDNIGHT » Sun May 10, 2009 11:56 pm

angus wrote:Looks like mange. With the intense itching and scabs it could very well be sarcoptic mange which is contagious to humans. You are going to need a skin scraping at the vet to confirm if its mange and whether its demodex or sarcoptic.

is there any thing i could put on it now????
MIDNIGHT
Newborn Bully

Postby angus » Mon May 11, 2009 12:18 am

You can use this topically.
http://www.nustock.com/
angus
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby FujiFig » Mon May 11, 2009 1:01 am

Poor baby, I hope he feels better. The vets by you are awful. It does look like mange, but I've seen weird allergy cases and stress symptoms that looked like mange too. Just assume it's mange, that way it will be a huge relief if it turns out to be something minor plus if you take the case to your vet with the concern that it is human-communicable mange the vet may have to treat him as diseases that can be passed to humans become an issue of public health, and if the vet still won't - you can go to the authorities about the vets dissregard for public health. A friend of mine did that with a rabies vaccine she needed and the vet didn't want to treat her dog. I hope your boy feels better soon!!!
FujiFig
Adolescent Bully

Postby MIDNIGHT » Mon May 11, 2009 1:23 am

angus wrote:You can use this topically.
http://www.nustock.com/

has anybody else used this????well im going to order it and give it a try
MIDNIGHT
Newborn Bully

Postby Kingsgurl » Mon May 11, 2009 1:54 am

It should be noted here that Nu Stock is NOT a substitute for getting that poor dog in to see a Vet. Who is your regular vet? Who cropped his ears? Is that vet also unable to see him? It looks like he has some infection going on secondary to whatever initially started the hair loss, and he will need antibiotics for that.
There has to be a vet somewhere that will see him. What he has can not be treated over the internet, since we don't even know what it IS.

Good luck with your poor pup. Call the vets back, and don't take no for an answer. This isn't a regular check-up
Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby jlphilli » Mon May 11, 2009 6:21 am

This dog needs to see a vet now :frown: NuStock will not cure the condition.
jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re:

Postby InBearsMemory » Mon May 11, 2009 8:21 am

That looks definitely like mange and your dog should see a vet right away, not in 3 weeks. If untreated it will only get worse and will make your dogs life miserable. I wouldn'tWhat kind of vet doesn't take a dog in because of its size? That just doesn't sound right to me.
InBearsMemory
Bully Ambassador

Postby MikeZev » Mon May 11, 2009 8:41 am

thats only going to get worse. the longer you wait the more damage its going to do and the longer its going to take to cure.

nuStock and neem oil will help but will not cure the condition.
MikeZev
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon May 11, 2009 11:48 am

That dog needs antibiotics. I would keep calling vets until you find one that can see him TODAY.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Mon May 11, 2009 12:36 pm

yes.. vet.. it needs more than antibiotics and temp relief cream. Please take him soon. And if that is true about the vet not seeing the dog due to size? What kind of vet is that? they do not see dogs over 50 pounds?

Please, please, get to a vet, Mange can only get worse and worse.
If its something less,I agree you will be relieved, and so will the dog.
Imagine itching like that all over..aaaaaaah!
luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby Adrianne » Mon May 11, 2009 12:55 pm

you've gotten plenty of advice, all I can say is I'm so sorry! Poor boy! I hope he finds relief soon :hug:
Adrianne
Regulator

Next

Return to Health Issues